Saturday, October 26, 2013

SON OF THIRTY-ONE DAYS OF HALLOWEEN! DAY 26: ZOMBIES OF THE ANIMAL KINGDOM!

I was speaking with a co-worker recently about zombies. We're both fans of the zombie genre, especially The Walking Dead and the original Romero series that began with Night of the Living Dead. I said that I was very glad zombies aren't real, and he smiled and told me to look up "zombie bugs."


I did so, and have been disturbed ever since. The concept of organisms being "possessed" after death and then utilized for various purposes is one alive and well in the animal kingdom. (yep, I went there.)

This is one of the best articles on the phenomenon. What are we talking about here? How about a fungus that takes over the body of an ant and then controls the ant, even after the ant dies? Good stuff.

Visit the article for more info on zombified animals!

No comments: