Thursday, October 02, 2014

BRIDE OF 31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN! DAY 2: DRACULA FORCED TO GET A JOB...AT WAL MART?!

 It's not easy being a classic, true vampire these days. You've got these newfangled sparkling kids running up trees and moping all the time, and even they aren't as popular as they used to be. It's those other undead, the zombies, that are really chewing up the scenery these days. Which is why I guess the Lord of Vampires of himself, Count Dracula, had to become a wage-slave like the rest of us.I found this first display at the WalMart on Pinhook. I turned the corner and was shocked and overjoyed to see the star of my favorite novel hovering over a really neat display of one of my favorite wines, Apothic Red. 




Apothic has a seasonal blend called Apothic Dark, which is also delicious, so it makes sense that they've drafted Drac here to be their spokes-ghoul. That said, I find it ironic that the Count, who famously said "I never drink...wine" in the 1931 film, is now pushing this particular spirit. I personally think this particular Dracula looks a lot like Christopher Lee's version from the Hammer Horror films of the late 50s and 60s, which is one of the most iconic-and frightening-iterations of Dracula on the big screen.




After finding this display at the Pinhook store, I decided to check the other stores I visit (I go to many WalMarts for one of my part-time gigs) and was a little disappointed to find this guy at the Evangeline store. While he's still obviously Dracula, or at least his kin, I don't care for his more cartoonish bearing. I prefer my Halloween decor to be as horrifying and realistic as possible. He makes for a cool display nevertheless, even though I think he looks more like Richard Nixon than Count Dracula. 


Except for the toon-like Drac, these displays are identical. I've only seen them at these two stores so far, and yes, I do indeed plan on asking the Pinhook store if I can have their Dracula after Halloween. He would be an awesome addition to our Halloween decor here at Meaux Castle.



I highly recommend both the perennial Apothic Red and its seasonal counterpart, Apothic Dark. They're both dark and delicious red wines that go beautifully with just about anything you want to pair them with, though I prefer to drink them on their own. Apothic Dark has become my go-to wine for October and our annual Halloween party, Meauxloween. Thanks for reading and be sure to return tomorrow for Day 3 of THE BRIDE OF 31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN!

No comments: