Wednesday, October 29, 2014

BRIDE OF 31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN! DAY 29: CREEPY ORIGIN OF THE GHOSTFACE MASK USED IN THE SCREAM FILMS!


One of my fondest memories of Halloween is going into a Rite Aid sometime during early 90s, possibly 92 or 93, and seeing a spooky ghost mask. I thought it was creepy but didn't yet have the interest in mask collecting I'd have later. In 1996, I was pleasantly surprised to see that same ghost mask now being used in a major horror film, Scream. Scream was my "gateway drug" into watching horror movies as an adult and becoming a horror fan. The movie terrified me, especially that mask, but I had to have it. purchased two, both of which were glow in the dark masks. Over the years, I've amassed a half-dozen of different Scream masks and they remain the cornerstones of my mask collection.

This article does a nice job of explaining the "secret origin" of the Ghostface mask, an origin involving a dead mask collector and an abandoned house. Be on the lookout for a multitude of Ghostface-wearing trick r treaters as you go out this Halloween; the Ghostface mask and costume has earned the title of "The icon of Halloween," remaining the highest selling and most worn Halloween costume in the United States since the release of Scream in 1996.

No comments: