Wednesday, October 30, 2013

THIRTY-ONE DAYS OF HALLOWEEN! DAY 30: MY FIRST (AND LAST!) GHOST PHOTOGRAPH!


Roughly ten years ago, I was driving through Lafayette as part of my work as a merchandiser. It was Halloween day, and I was hoping to finish work early so I could spend the rest of the day watching horror movies at home. While scanning through the local radio stations, I happened upon Bobby Novosadt talking to another DJ about the Protestant Cemetery in Lafayette. I was familiar was the cemetery since I passed it almost every day. Bobby was talking about a tree that "collected" the souls of the dead in the cemetery, and that a person could see the faces of these souls in the tree. I thought this sounded pretty dumb yet creepy enough to investigate.

I drove to the cemetery that day, found the tree, and discovered that the "faces" were nothing more than knots in the tree. It was a spooky tree to be sure, but there were no "faces" in the tree. The cemetery itself was, however, extremely eerie, so I made sure not to stick around for long.

I've thought of that visit for years and this morning, finding the sky just gray and overcast enough for some cemetery visiting, decided to return. I photographed the "tree of souls" for tonight's entry, but didn't expect to find something else in the photos, something I definitely didn't see when I was taking the pics.

Below are the labeled pics of the tree. I didn't notice anything in the pics after taking them, but after uploading them to my computer and examining them closely, I found something unusual in photograph D. Look and see if you can find it.



 



Here's what I'm talking about in photo D:



For a better look, open photo D in another window or tab and zoom in on your own. I don't believe that image is a part of the tombstone or the sun playing on the trees behind the tombstone. I can't exactly say what it is, but I know it wasn't there when I took the pic. Is it a ghost? Nothing at all? I'm not sure.

All I am sure of is that I won't be revisiting the Protestant cemetery anytime soon.

No comments: